Thursday, February 25, 2016

20 days old chicks

My term 'Twenty Day Old Chicks' is slightly misleading because after twenty days the birds are no longer chicks, but nearly full grown chickens. As you see in the video, at 20 days the 'chicks' are now 1.5 to 2 kilos. That is 3 1/3 to almost 4 1/2 pounds. Considering they still have fifteen days to go they will be quite large chickens by then. We are raising thirty five day chickens. meaning they can be processed for food after 35 days. There are always a few slightly slower growing and they may be extended to 45 days. After a maximum of 45 days they will not grow more and are not practical to feed. The raising of the chickens was timed so they would be ready for Halloween. Halloween is a much more celebrated occasion here than in the USA. Myra new the Market was ripe and all the birds would be sold for the occasion. She has sold all of her chickens already. They are to be delivered or picked up on the November 1st, that is the celebrated day in the Philippines. Myra only saved me three. The next clutch of chicks will be purchased with Christmas in mind. We want fryers ready to sell for Christmas diner. There is always mixed emotion when preparing the chickens to sell. After feeding and tending the chickens for over a month there is always an amount of bonding that takes place. I felt dad for Myra when the last birds were all sold. She was out sitting next to the coop the next day and when I approached her she looked at me and said, " Hun Hun all my chicks gone. I have no chicks. I am too sad. " Myra likes raising fryers, but will not eat any of the chickens she had raised. She prepared chicken for me. When I asked her why she she wasn't eating she said, " I don't to eat my chicks I like fish more."

No comments:

Post a Comment